When people find out that I am a vegetarian, the first thing they ask is “what about protein and iron?” I like to keep my answer short and sweet, “I eat lentils.” Lentils are a nutritional powerhouse. Whether you are a meat eater or not, you should be eating lentils regularly. Here are a few reasons why:
- They are low in calories but high in lean protein.
- They are full of fiber and other important nutrients like potassium, calcium, zinc, niacin and vitamin K.
- They are a great source of fiber and can aid in digestion and regulate blood sugar levels.
- They are easy to prepare and taste amazing.
So, I felt it appropriate to call this super quick and easy salad recipe “The Iron Man” because the ingredients in this salad provide the nutrients we need to be healthy and strong. Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make it:
- Sprouted lentils
- 1 Organic cucumber
- 1 Organic onion
- 2 Organic tomatoes
- 1 Avocado
- Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar
- Organic light EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- Himalayan Sea Salt
Seriously, so much good stuff.
Here’s how it’s done:
Cook your sprouted lentils for just a few minutes (as directed on the package). Then drain and rinse them in cool water. Chop your veggies. I used my favorite veggie chopper from Williams Sonoma.
Toss chopped veggies and lentils together. Drizzle with about 2 tbsp EVOO and 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar and then season to taste with salt and pepper. If you want a sweeter taste, you can add a packet of stevia. Toss together and top with chopped avocado and you’re done!
This is perfect by itself, on top of greens, in a pita, in lettuce cups, or as a side dish. It’s great for lunch, dinner, or to bring to a party. And the best part is, it’s ready in about 15 minutes. Eat up friends!